The Oxford American Dictionaries define change as …
- Verb: make or become different
- Noun: the act or instance of making or becoming different
Georgetown University, University Information Services
- Change: A deviation from a currently established baseline
- Change: The process of becoming different
Other definitions—which sometimes may even be contradictory …
- To change is to become different in some particular way, without permanently losing one's or its former characteristics or essence
- Change is an event that occurs when something passes from one state or phase to another
- To change is to become different in essence
Define Change Management
Oxford University Press Glossary
- Change management: the leadership and direction of the process of organizational transformation especially with regard to human aspects and overcoming resistance to change.
U.S. Government Accountability Office
- Change Management: activities involved in (1) defining and instilling new values, attitudes, norms, and behaviors within an organization that support new ways of doing work and overcome resistance to change; (2) building consensus among customers and stakeholders on specific changes designed to better meet their needs; and (3) planning, testing, and implementing all aspects of the transition from one organizational structure or business process to another.
Georgetown University, University Information Services define change management as …
- The complete set of processes employed on a project to ensure that changes are implemented in a visible, controlled and orderly fashion.
- The activity, or set of activities, undertaken to govern systematically the effects of organizational change.
- Change management is a structured approach to transitioning individuals, teams, and organizations from a current state to a desired future state. The current definition of Change Management includes both organizational change management processes and individual change management models, which together are used to manage the people side of change.
If you lead change—this FREE Personal Leadership Development Plan will teach you three competencies that will help you to commit your direct reports to your change initiatives.
This Plan will teach you three fundamental leader tools that—unfortunately—most managers ignore.